Humans have been using stories to share knowledge since the beginning of time. Whether oral, visual, or written, storytelling has the ability to engage the audience’s thoughts, emotions, and imagination to leave a lasting impression.
This Indian proverb brilliantly captures the power of storytelling:
“Tell me a fact and I’ll learn.
Tell me the truth and I’ll believe.
But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.”
Storytelling is at the heart of Encantos’ pedagogy: storyteaching. Our teaching methodology leverages the strength of storytelling to help kids learn. There is nothing that cannot be shared or taught through a story. And because stories engage us in ways that activate our mind and bodies as we immersive ourselves in the narrative, there is no more powerful tool to teach. Stories help kids learn because they help:
- Capture the attention of beginners: Stories help students focus their attention at the beginning of instruction, priming them to retain the information. They help reduce a child’s resistance and anxiety to learning.
- Make the subject accessible: Stories bring facts to life and make the abstract concrete by walking the listener through an experience. Kids can more easily understand complex concepts if they are presented in a story.
- Build stronger schema and memory: Stories make knowledge easier to recover by making complex information coherent and connected. They help assimilate new ideas and build paths to understanding. Kids can more easily remember a new fact if it’s part of a memorable story.
Encantos incorporates stories across a variety of teaching products including the:
- Skeletitos books that encourage children to drive the story through interactive elements like a clock with movable hands.
- Tiny Travelers games like matching games featuring modes of transportation from around the world, and the passport activity book that inspires both constructive play and pretend play.
- Canticos Bilingual Preschool App that includes interactive games that motivate kids to explore playworlds, ebooks, and more.
Share this post
Made with ♥ from our familia to yours